The Adelphi Theatre, also known as the Theatre Royal Adelphi or the Sans Pareil Pavilion, was one of Glasgow's two licensed theatres in the first half of the 19th century. Owned by David Prince Miller, it was housed in a wooden building at the foot of Saltmarket and opened in 1842.
As can be seen from this playbill, the Adelphi combined serious drama with light entertainment. Black entertainers had a particular fascination for Victorian audiences and W H Bateman was one of the best known of his day.
The Adelphi was destroyed by fire in 1848.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Theatre Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
Adelphi Theatre, black entertainers, drama, Sans Pareil Pavilion, Theatre Royal Adelphi, theatres, variety