The Tivoli Variety Theatre was opened by Thomas Colquhoun and Bernard Armstrong in 1898, aiming to attract West End audiences. The site in Main Street, Anderston, was less tranquil than the programme cover suggests.
The theatre presented more than the usual variety acts: this show in October 1899, at the beginning of the Boer War, featured a cinematograph presentation, Our troops leaving Southampton for South Africa. The Tivoli later became the Gaiety Theatre and the Glasgow Gaiety Theatre.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Theatre Collection, G 792 MUS
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
Boer War, cinematograph, Gaiety Theatre, Glasgow Gaiety Theatre, music halls, theatres, Tivoli Variety Theatre, variety