Hengler's Circus was established by Charles Hengler and carried on by his son Albert. It opened in Glasgow in 1867 on the site of the former Prince's Theatre in West Nile Street.
In 1885 the circus moved to new premises in Wellington Street. As can be seen from this 1892 programme there was a strong emphasis on equestrian acts. In 1904 the circus moved to Sauchiehall Street where it enjoyed further success. But its productions were expensive and when audiences dwindled in the face of competition from cinemas and other forms of entertainment, Hengler's was forced to close in 1924.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Theatre Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
cinemas, circuses, Hengler's Circus, horses, Prince's Theatre