Housed in the second and third floors of a warehouse building, the Britannia Music Hall in Trongate opened in 1857. It is the oldest surviving theatre in Glasgow, although no longer used as such. Also known variously as Campbell's Music Salon, the Britannia Theatre of Varieties, the Trongate Theatre and “The Brit”, the Britannia was one of the first Glasgow theatres to show silent films under the ownership of Arthur Hubner in 1897.
The theatre closed in 1903, reopening three years later as the Panopticon.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Theatre Collection, G 792 MUS
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
Britannia Music Hall, Britannia Theatre of Varieties, Campbell's Music Salon, cinemas, films, music halls, Panopticon, The Brit, theatres, Trongate Theatre, variety