A programme for a 1912 production of the pantomime Dick Whittington and his Cat at the Savoy Music Hall.
Designed by James Miller, the Savoy opened in Hope Street in 1911 with American comedienne Nella Webb as top of the bill. It was not a commercial success as a music hall and was converted to the New Savoy Cinema in 1916. A further conversion took place in 1958 when the building became the Majestic Ballroom, a popular venue with music provided by bandleader Dave Mason.
The building was demolished in 1972 and the site is now occupied by the Savoy shopping centre.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Theatre Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
cinemas, dance halls, Dick Whittington and his Cat, Majestic Ballroom, music halls, New Savoy Cinema, Savoy Music Hall, Savoy shopping centre, theatres, variety