In 1881 Arthur Lloyd took over the Star Music Hall in Watson Street, off Gallowgate, and renamed it the Shakespeare Music Hall. With a capacity of over 2,600, it attracted large working class audiences from the East End.
In September 1884 the Shakespeare was acquired by D S McKay of Edinburgh, and renamed the New Star Theatre of Varieties. A shadow was cast over the theatre on 1 November when a false fire alarm caused panic, resulting in a rush to the exits and a crush which left fourteen dead and eighteen injured. McKay offered to pay for the burial of the dead, and helped organise a relief fund.
The New Star was subsequently renamed the Queen's Theatre.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Theatre Collection, G 792 MUS
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
disasters, music halls, New Star Theatre of Varieties, Queen's Theatre, Shakespeare Music Hall, Shakespeare Theatre, Star Music Hall, theatres, variety