The Theatre Royal in Hope Street, Cowcaddens, began life in 1867 as the Royal Colosseum. Built for James Bayliss with stone quarried on the site, it was taken over two years later by William Glover and George Francis of the Theatre Royal in Dunlop Street and they transferred the name.
Gutted by fire in 1879, the Theatre Royal was redesigned by C J Phipps and reopened in 1880. Another fire in 1895 again brought temporary closure for restoration.
Considered to be the most prestigious of the Glasgow theatres at its peak, the Theatre Royal staged mainly opera, serious drama and pantomimes. Scottish Television bought it in 1956 for conversion to studios, and it closed in 1957.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Theatre Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
drama, opera, pantomimes, Royal Colosseum, Scottish Television, STV, Theatre Royal, theatres