Also known as the Olympia Theatre of Varieties, the Olympia was designed by George Arthur & Son in association with Frank Matcham and opened in 1911 at Bridgeton Cross. Its career as a music hall was short lived as in 1924 it became a cinema, a development which had been anticipated in the original design. A complete refurbishment in 1938 removed the stage facilities.
In 1963 the Olympia was renamed the ABC Cinema, continuing in this capacity until it closed in 1974. It lay empty until 1987 when it re-opened as a bingo hall.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Theatre Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Archives
ABC Cinema, Associated British Cinemas, bingo, cinemas, George Arthur & Son, music halls, Olympia Theatre of Varieties, theatres, variety