The Metropole Theatre began life as the Scotia Music Hall, which was opened in Stockwell Street by James Bayliss in 1862. For a time it was regarded as the leading music hall in Glasgow. The change of name to the Metropole in 1897 was accompanied by a change of use to melodramatic plays.
The Metropole was taken over by the Frutin family in 1914 and variety returned from 1926. The Logan family took over in the 1930s and continued to provide popular variety shows with a strong Scottish flavour until the theatre was burned down in 1961.
Among the stars who played at the Metropole in their early years were Harry Lauder, Stan Laurel, Tommy Morgan and Jimmy Logan.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Theatre Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Archives
melodrama, Metropole Theatre, music halls, plays, Scotia Music Hall, theatres, variety