The Lyceum Theatre opened in 1897 in Govan Road in the Burgh of Govan. It was owned by Richard Waldon. The opening season was devoted to a production of Carmen by the Carl Rosa Opera Company and variety shows and pantomimes were also staged there.
With a capacity of 3,000 (700 standing) the theatre proved difficult to fill and in 1929 it became the Lyceum Cinema. In 1937 it was destroyed by fire, but rebuilt by the owners. Bingo was introduced in 1974.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Theatre Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bingo, Carl Rosa Opera Company, Carmen, cinemas, Lyceum Cinema, Lyceum Theatre, opera, pantomimes, theatres, variety