The Lyric Theatre started life in Sauchiehall Street as the Royalty. Designed by Frank Matcham, it opened in 1879 and was used mainly by repertory companies, in particular the Glasgow Repertory Company. The change of name came about after the First World War when it was bought by the YMCA.
The Lyric became established as the favourite venue for Glasgow's many amateur theatrical companies, such as the Pantheon Club, whose 1939 production of The Maid of the Mountains is illustrated here. The Scottish Community Drama Association held its annual festival at the Lyric.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Theatre Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
amateur dramatics, Glasgow Repertory Company, Lyric Theatre, Maid of the Mountains, Pantheon Club, Royalty Theatre, Scottish Community Drama Association, theatres, YMCA, Young Men's Christian Association