The Glasgow Hippodrome was built in 1897 at New City Road, Cowcaddens, under the supervision of E H Bostock, the proprietor of the adjoining zoo. The architect was Bertie Crewe. At various times in its existence it was used as a circus, zoo, variety theatre, skating rink, dance hall, menagerie, exhibition hall, cinema and barracks. In 1919 it was sold to the British Traction Motor Company, and became a garage.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Theatre Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
barracks, British Traction Motor Co, cinemas, circuses, dance halls, exhibitions, garages, Glasgow Hippodrome, menageries, skating rinks, theatres, variety, zoos