Intended to be the fashionable theatre for the West End, the King's Theatre was opened in 1904 at the corner of Bath Street and Elmbank Street. The architect was Frank Matcham, and there was seating for over 2000 within an ornate interior.
Originally owned by Howard & Wyndham, the King's was sold to Glasgow Corporation in 1967 and continues to be run by Glasgow City Council at the beginning of the 21st century. The wide range of productions staged at the King's includes opera, touring plays, musical comedies, variety shows, amateur dramatics and pantomimes.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Theatre Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
amateur dramatics, drama, Howard & Wyndham, King's Theatre, musical comedies, opera, pantomimes, plays, theatres, variety