The Glasgow Gaiety Theatre started life at Anderston Cross in 1898 as the Argyle Street Theatre of Varieties. It was also known as the Tivoli Variety Theatre and the Gaiety Theatre and staged musicals, variety shows and pantomimes.
In 1935 the theatre was converted to a cinema which closed around 1960. Following the destruction by fire of St Andrew's Halls in 1962, the Gaiety was resurrected for a brief period as the Glasgow Concert Hall before finally closing to make way for a motorway development in 1968.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Theatre Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Argyle Street Theatre of Varieties, cinemas, Glasgow Concert Hall, Glasgow Gaiety Theatre, music halls, musicals, St Andrew's Halls, theatres, Tivoli Variety Theatre, variety