The Gaiety Theatre opened in 1874 at the corner of Sauchiehall Street and West Nile Street, describing itself as "a musical bijou for Glasgow". After initial difficulties it became established as a popular venue for a wide range of entertainments, from classical drama and opera to pantomimes such as the one shown here. Music hall acts were especially popular, and top London stars such as Marie Lloyd, George Lashwood and Vesta Tilley appeared at the theatre.
The Gaiety was closed and demolished in 1896, to be replaced by the Empire Theatre.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Theatre Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Empire Theatre, Gaiety Theatre, music halls, theatres