Designed by Frank Matcham, the Coliseum was opened in 1905 by Moss Empires as a music hall. Productions included twice nightly variety shows and Christmas pantomimes. During the 1920s the theatre also staged a production of Wagner's Ring cycle, the acoustics being judged particularly favourable for opera.
The less-than-ideal location in Eglinton Street made it difficult to fill the theatre's 3,000 seats, and in 1925 it was converted to a cinema. The Coliseum was the first cinema to show a "talkie" in Glasgow when in 1929 it screened The Singing Fool.
The cinema closed in 1980 but the Coliseum reopened as a bingo hall in 1987, and is still in use in 2003.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Theatre Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bingo, Christmas, cinemas, Coliseum, Moss Empires Ltd, music halls, opera, pantomimes, Ring, Singing Fool, talkies, theatres, variety