The Athenaeum originally opened in Ingram Street in 1847 as a college of further education. In 1888 it moved to Buchanan Street, to premises designed by J J Burnet.
An extension in 1893 included a theatre, with a capacity of 800, to cater for the recently added music and drama departments. The theatre was mainly used by college and local amateur clubs, although the Citizens' Theatre Co and the Unity Theatre performed there in the 1940s.
The college became the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, and moved to new premises in Renfrew Street in 1987. The programme illustrated is for an amateur production of The Fair Egyptian, 1900, to raise funds for the Boer War.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Theatre Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Athenaeum Theatre, Boer War, Citizens' Theatre Co., drama, music, Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, theatres, Unity Theatre