John Laing (1813-1909) was a house factor, town councillor and magistrate.
A native of Kilmarnock, Laing trained as a joiner and moved to the south side of Glasgow. He became a house factor and prospered during the short-lived property boom of the 1870s.
In 1872 Laing was elected to the Town Council to represent the 15th (Gorbals) ward, which he continued to do until 1887. During that time he was Bailie of the River, Bailie of the Burgh and Master of Works, as well as serving on the Parliamentary Bills, Parks, Gas and Finance Committees. He was also a patron of Hutchesons' Hospital.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 920.04 BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
carpenters, councillors, house factors, Hutchesons' Hospital, joiners