James Campbell of Tullichewan was a merchant and philanthropist.
The family firm of J & W Campbell was founded by James and William Campbell in 1828, who established a reputation as successful drapers and warehousemen. William's son James went into the business and became head of the firm on his father's retirement. The business continued to prosper allowing Campbell to follow his father's example in contributing to worthy causes. Children's charities benefited from his generosity as did the Free Church of Scotland. He was particularly interested in music and sponsored many concerts in the city. He was Honorary President of the Glasgow Choral Union and one of the chairmen of the Glasgow Industrial Schools.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 920.04 BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
benefactors, charities, children, concerts, department stores, drapers, Free Church of Scotland, Glasgow Choral Union, Glasgow Industrial Schools, J & W Campbell, merchants, music, philanthropists, warehousemen