Alexander Waddel (1819-1895) was a tailor, bank manager and councillor.
A native of Girvan, Waddel's first business was in partnership with his father as a tailor in Calton. In 1845 he opened a branch of the Western Bank in Calton, the first Glasgow suburban bank branch. He later managed several branches of the Royal Bank of Scotland, and was Registrar for Bridgeton for many years.
In 1871 Waddel was elected to represent the 1st Ward on the town council which he continued to do until his death in 1895. Offices held included Bailie of the Burgh, City Treasurer and Master of Works. He was also a Preceptor of Hutchesons' Hospital and an active supporter of many community institutions in the Bridgeton and Calton areas, including Calton and Bridgeton Mechanics' Institution, London Road Baths and Bridgeton Working-men's Club.
Reference: Mitchell Library, 920.04 BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bankers, city treasurers, councillors, Hutchesons' Hospital, magistrates, Masters of Works, Preceptors, Royal Bank of Scotland, tailors, Western Bank