David Rowan (1822-1898) was a marine engineer.
Born in Ochiltree, Rowan worked as an engineer for several employers in Glasgow and Greenock before taking up a post of managing partner with James Aitken & Co, Cranstonhill. While with this firm, he supervised contracts for the construction of blast-furnaces at Langloan Iron Works and the pumping engines to supply St Petersburg with water. In 1866 he set up in business himself as a manufacturer of marine engines, supplying engines for a number of Clyde shipbuilding firms.
Rowan was an original member and later president of the Institute of Engineers and Shipbuilders in Scotland, president of the Glasgow Mechanics Institution and chairman of the Clyde Navigation Trust.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 920.04 BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Clyde Navigation Trust, engineers, engines, Glasgow Mechanics Institution, Institute of Engineers and Shipbuilders in Scotland, James Aitken & Co, Langloan Iron Works, marine engineers, River Clyde, shipbuilding