Allen Thomson (1809-1884) was a biologist and Professor of Anatomy at the University of Glasgow.
Thomson was educated in his native Edinburgh and in Paris before becoming a lecturer. He was Professor of Anatomy at Marischal College, Aberdeen, and of Physiology at the University of Edinburgh before his appointment in 1848 as Professor of Anatomy at the University of Glasgow. He reorganised the Medical School there to improve facilities for both staff and students.
As Chairman of the Buildings Committee, Thomson helped organise the removal of the University from High Street to Gilmorehill. He helped raise funds for and to supervise the construction of the Western Infirmary, and to establish its close links with the Medical School. His research and publications earned him a high reputation and in 1876 he was elected President of the British Association for the Advancement of Science. He delivered the opening address at the Association's annual meeting in 1877, the year in which he resigned the Chair of Anatomy for health reasons.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 920.04 BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
anatomists, anatomy, biologists, biology, British Association for the Advancement of Science, lecturers, Medical School, medicine, professors, University of Glasgow, Western Infirmary