Thomas Mathieson (1823-1899) was a toolmaker and councillor.
Mathieson entered the family business as a toolmaker in Saracen's Lane, off the Gallowgate. He was elected to the Town Council in 1866 and represented the third ward until 1884. During that time he was River Bailie and Bailie of the Burgh from 1870 to 1872. He was also a member of the Finance Committee, the Parks Committee, the Gas Committee, the Libraries Committee and the Police Board, as well as being a director of Buchanan's Institution and a Patron of Hutchesons' Hospital.
Known for his independence of mind, Mathieson was never afraid to take on vested interests and his ability to investigate and expose flaws in proposed projects did not endear him to those in power.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 920.04 BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Buchanan's Institution, councillors, Finance Committee, Gas Committee, Hutchesons' Hospital, magistrates, Police Board, toolmakers