Rev Dr John Marshall Lang (1834-1909) was a Church of Scotland minister at Anderston and the Barony.
The son of the parish minister at Glassford, Lang was educated at the University of Glasgow. Following ministries at Kilmun, Aberdeen and Fyvie he was minister at Anderston from 1865 to 1868, where his innovations included the first organ used in the Church of Scotland and psalms chanted in prose. After a spell at Morningside Church in Edinburgh he was appointed minister of Barony parish in 1873. When the church building was found to be in a state of terminal disrepair Lang successfully undertook to raise funds and build a new Barony Church which opened in 1889.
Lang served on numerous boards and committees, and was Moderator of the General Assembly in 1893. He was responsible for the introduction of evening services in Glasgow. After twenty-three years as a minister at Barony, he left to become Principal of the University of Aberdeen in 1900. His son, Cosmo Gordon Lang (1864-1945) was Archbishop of Canterbury 1928-1942.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 920.04 BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Anderston Church, Archbishops of Canterbury, Barony Church, Church of Scotland, church organs, evening services, ministers, moderators, Principals, professors, University of Aberdeen