James White (1812-1884) was a lawyer and chemical manufacturer.
White was a partner in the law firm of Couper & White from 1834. In 1851 he joined John & James White, the family firm which dominated the market for bichromate of potash, or chrome, and had works at Shawfield which employed around 500 men. He ran the commercial side of that business until his death in 1884.
White had many other business interests, including serving as director and deputy chairman of the Glasgow & South Western Railway Co. He was chairman of the Investigation Committee which helped the North British Railway Co survive a financial crisis in 1866. Other offices included those of chairman of the Glasgow Chamber of Commerce, chairman of the directors of the Glasgow Royal Exchange, and chairman of the Glasgow Deaf and Dumb Institution.
Strongly religious, White was also involved in various philanthropic and charitable works.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 920.04 BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bichromate of potash, chairmen, charities, chemical manufacturers, chrome, Couper & White, Glasgow & South Western Railway Co, Glasgow Chamber of Commerce, Glasgow Deaf and Dumb Institution, Glasgow Royal Exchange, John & James White, lawyers, North British Railway Co, philanthropists, railways