James Thomson (1810-1884) was a butcher, councillor and magistrate.
First elected to the town council in 1860, Thomson represented the Fourth Ward from 1872 until his death. He held office as a water bailie and as a bailie of the burgh, as well as being a member of various committees and boards. Sometimes described as "the typical Glasgow Magistrate", Thomson had a reputation for shrewdness and sound judgement.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 920.04 BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
butchers, councillors, magistrates