James McNaught (1833-1894) was a minister of both the Free Church of Scotland and the Church of Scotland.
A native of Kilmarnock, McNaught was educated at the University of Glasgow and the Free Church College. He was ordained at Maitland Free Church in 1862. In 1876 the church was sold and a new church built by the congregation. Both minister and congregation petitioned for admission to the Church of Scotland. This was granted, and the parish of Abbotsford created in 1877. The Church of Scotland was in a (financially) more sound position at the time and it was suggested that this was a decisive influence in the decision of Rev McNaught and his congregation to change allegiance.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 920.04 BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Abbotsford Parish, Church of Scotland, Free Church of Scotland, Maitland Free Church, ministers