Thomas Henderson (d 1895) was a sailor and shipowner who was a partner in the Anchor Line.
Born in Fife, Henderson (like his father and his brothers John, David and William) went to sea and became a captain. In 1855 he became a parter in the Glasgow shipping firm N & R Handyside & Co, which became Handysides & Henderson. He was joined as a partner in 1859 by his brother John (d 1892) and the brothers worked energetically to develop a network of shipping routes under the flag of the Anchor Line. The Anchor Line rose from modest beginnings to become one of the largest mercantile fleets in the world, providing regular passenger and cargo services across the globe. In 1872 Handysides & Henderson acquired the Meadowside Shipyard to be operated by D & W Henderson, a firm managed by Thomas' brothers David (d 1893) and William (d 1895).
Known as "Captain Tom," Henderson was also Chairman of the Lighthouse Commissioners and a member of the Clyde Navigation Trust.
Reference: Mitchell Library, 920.04 BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Anchor Line, Clyde Navigation Trust, Handysides & Co, Lighthouse Commission, shipowners, shipping, ships