Anderson Kirkwood (1812?-1889) was Professor of Conveyancing at the University of Glasgow 1862-1867.
Kirkwood came to Glasgow in 1839 and founded the legal partnership Bannatynes & Kirkwood with Andrew and Dugald Kirkwood. He was Dean of the Faculty of Procurators 1875-1880.
A Liberal in his politics, Kirkwood was an adherent of the Free Church of Scotland. In 1878 he worked with Professor John Veitch to raise the funds required to purchase Sir William Hamilton's Library for the University of Glasgow, which he also served as Secretary of Court 1874-1887.
Reference: Mitchell Library, 920.04BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Bannatynes & Kirkwood, conveyancing, Deans, Hamilton's Library, lawyers, professors, Royal Faculty of Procurators, Secretaries, University Court, University of Glasgow