James Daly first set up business in the drapery trade in 1846 as a partner in the firm of Daly, Spence & Buchanan at 98 Trongate. After several changes of name and address, James Daly & Co moved in 1882 to Tron House, illustrated here, opposite the Tron Steeple on Trongate.
An impressive Scottish Baronial style building, the warehouse stocked a wide range of drapery and household goods and served both retail and wholesale customers. The firm pioneered improvements in working conditions for staff such as early closing.
In 1894 James Daly Jnr moved the store from Trongate to Sauchiehall Street, which had become a more fashionable location.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f 914.1435 STR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Baronial, Daly, Spence & Buchanan, department stores, drapers, drapery, James Daly & Co, retail trade, shopping, shops, steeples, Tron House, Tron Steeple, warehousemen, warehouses, wholesale trade