Copland & Lye's drapery warehouse in Sauchiehall Street was one of several which supplied Paris fashions for ladies. The business was founded in Cowcaddens in 1873 by William Copland and John Lye, expanding to Caledonian House, shown here, in 1878.
The large Italianate building held a commanding position on what was known as the "Bond Street of Glasgow". Numerous departments sold a wide range of articles of clothing and related items, with dressmaking a speciality. Various extensions and innovations were added over the years, including a well-known restaurant and tea room, before the department store closed in 1971.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f 914.1435 STR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Caledonian House, clothing, Copland & Lye, department stores, drapers, drapery, dressmaking, fashions, Italianate, restaurants, shopping, shops, tea rooms