John Robertson started a coachbuilding business in Bothwell Street in 1857. Four years later he built a larger factory at 412-424 St Vincent Street, shown in this illustration.
Around seventy men were employed at the works, building carriages which earned a national reputation for high quality and technical innovation. Robertson was elected vice-president of the Institute of British Carriage Manufacturers and his carriages were frequent prizewinners at exhibitions.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f 914.1435 STR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
carriages, coachbuilders, coachbuilding, Institute of British Carriage Manufacturers, Robertson's Coachworks