The classic frontage of Mann Byars & Co's warehouse at 21 Glassford Street with its six Cortinthian pillars.
The business of Mann Byars & Co, merchants and manufacturers, was founded in 1847. In its hey-day it occupied an area stretching from Glassford Street to Virginia Street, with the retail department located in Argyle Street. A wide range of clothing and household goods was sold, much of the stock produced in the firm's factories in Virginia Street and Dunlop Street.
The business was wound up in 1938, with the stock and goodwill being acquired by Campbells and Stewart & Macdonald.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f 914.1435 STR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Campbells and Stewart & Macdonald, clothing, Corinthian, drapers, household goods, Mann Byars & Co, manufacturers, merchants, pillars, retailers, shops, warehouses