The large area occupied by the warehouse of Stewart & Macdonald between Buchanan Street, Argyle Street and Mitchell Street is shown in this 1880's engraving. At the time the warehouse had no fewer than thirty-four departments, mostly related to the drapery trade.
The firm was established in 1826 by the partners Robertson Buchanan Stewart and John Macdonald, and by the end of the 19th century the company was exporting to markets worldwide. The First World War brought about a decline in trade and in 1922 it merged with J & W Campbell to become Campbells and Stewart & Macdonald Co, based in Ingram Street.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f 914.1435 STR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Campbells and Stewart & Macdonald, department stores, drapery, First World War, J & W Campbell, Stewart & Macdonald, warehouses