The firm of Salmon, Son & Ritchie designed the Glasgow Deaf and Dumb Institution at Langside. Their Gothic-style building opened in 1868 as a boarding school with accommodation for 170 pupils. Facilities included a dining-room, classrooms, museum, sick-room, dormitories and library. A headmaster and eight teachers provided an eight-year course of elementary education.
In 1947 there was a change of use for the building when it became Langside College, a college of further education.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f 914.1435 STR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
boarding schools, disabled children, further education colleges, Glasgow Deaf and Dumb Institution, Gothic, Langside College, physical disabilities, Salmon, Son & Ritchie, special needs schools