Built in response to regular complaints about inadequate facilities for postal services in Glasgow, the General Post Office on the south side of George Square reflected the growing commercial status of the city when it opened in 1878.
The engraving shows the Italianate facade, by Robert Matheson. The building occupied half an acre and incorporated modern developments such as the use of electricity. Various alterations and extensions were made before the building ceased to be used as a post office in 1995.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f 914.1435 STR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
electricity, General Post Office, Italianate, post offices