The Royal Exchange Building was originally built as a mansion for William Cuninghame of Lainshaw in 1780. It was converted in the Corinthian style for the Royal Exchange by David Hamilton and completed in 1832.
Purchased by Glasgow Corporation in 1949, the building has housed Stirling's Library from 1954 to 1994, and again from 2002, and the Gallery of Modern Art from 1996.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f 914.1435 STR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
art galleries, commodities exchanges, Corinthian, Gallery of Modern Art, GOMA, libraries, mansions, Royal Exchange, Stirling's Library