Pearce Lodge, the University of Glasgow's entrance lodge on University Avenue, is named for the Clydeside shipbuilder and MP Sir William Pearce. Pearce's donations enabled the incorporation of fragments of the Old College entrance front on High Street to be saved and incorporated in the new building.
Designed in Baronial style by A G Thomson, Pearce Lodge was completed in 1888.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f 914.1435 STR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Baronial, entrances, gatehouses, Old College, Pearce Lodge, University of Glasgow buildings