The Stewart Memorial Fountain was erected in Kelvingrove Park in 1872.
The fountain commemorates the contribution of Lord Provost Robert Stewart of Murdostoun to the campaign to pass the Loch Katrine Act, 1855, which paved the way to a fresh water supply for Glasgow and consequent improvements in public health. The architect was James Sellars, and the sculptor John Mossman.
Various scenes relating to the project are depictedon the fountain which is topped by a statue of the Lady of the Lake. Note that the University tower (in the background) was unfinished when this engraving was made - the tower and spire were completed 1887-1891.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f 914.1435 STR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
fountains, Lady of the Lake, Loch Katrine, Lord Provosts, public health, Stewart Memorial Fountain, University of Glasgow, water supply