Crosshill and Govanhill Burgh Hall was gifted to the burghs by William Smith Dixon of Govan Iron Works.
Situated at an angle of 45 degrees to Dixon Avenue and Cathcart Road, the Scottish Baronial building was completed in 1879. The architect was Frank Stirrat, the winner of a competition for its commission. The boundary between the two burghs bisected the building allowing courtrooms and offices for each burgh to have separate access.
The building was renamed Dixon Halls when Crosshill and Govanhill were annexed by Glasgow in 1891.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f 914.1435 STR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Baronial, burgh halls, courtrooms, Crosshill and Govanhill Burgh Hall, Dixon Halls, Govan Iron Works