James Hamilton (1804?-1894) was an engineer and a councillor.
Born in Greenock, Hamilton came to Glasgow in 1839 to work at the Stobcross offices of Robert Barclay & Co. In 1845 he became a partner with Robert Curle in Barclay, Curle & Co, retiring from the business in 1879. His sons James and John also made careers as engineers and became partners in Robert Napier & Sons.
Hamilton served on the Town Council from 1867 until 1884.
Reference: Mitchell Library, 920.04BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Barclay, Curle & Co, shipbuilding, councillors, engineers, shipbuilders