Richard Samuel Oldham (1823-1914) was Glasgow's leading Episcopalian clergyman and the incumbent of St Mary's Church in Great Western Road.
Oldham was born in Southwark and became a priest in 1847. He was the assistant priest at St Mary's 1851-1853 and the incumbent 1853-1878. He was the Dean of the United Diocese of Glasgow and Galloway 1877-1878.
Oldham was also the domestic chaplain to the Earl of Elgin, Perpetual Curate of the Grosvenor Chapel 1878-1881, and Rector of the Little Chart in Kent, 1881-1905. He retired in 1905 but continued to serve the church as chaplain to the Bishop of Glasgow and Galloway 1908-1914.
An enthusiastic supporter of home mission work, Oldham was also noted for what The Bailie referred to in 1875 as his "ritualistic leanings."
Reference: Mitchell Library, 920.04BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
chaplains, deans, evangelicals, priests, rectors, Scottish Episcopal Church, St Mary's Church, United Diocese of Glasgow and Galloway