Sir James Campbell of Stracathro (1790-1876) was a founder of J & W Campbell, warehousemen, and Lord Provost, 1840-1843.
Campbell came to Glasgow with his brothers John and William from Lennox. James and William opened their drapery store in Saltmarket, moving to Candleriggs and then to larger premises in Ingram Street.
In 1831 Campbell was elected to the Town Council and he became Lord Provost nine years later. He contested a parliamentary seat for Glasgow as a Conservative in 1837 and 1841 without success. He was knighted in 1843.
Reference: Mitchell Library, 920.04BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Conservative Party, councillors, department stores, drapers, J & W Campbell, Lord Provosts, warehousemen