William Wilson (d 1892) was a shopkeeper and a councillor.
Wilson was a partner in Wilson & Mathieson of Glassford Street, which sold umbrellas, parasols, bags and cases. He was a patron of the arts and a mainstay of the Western Burns Club. He was also a founder and one of the original trustees of Maxwell Parish Church, a promoter of the Victoria Baths in Butterbiggs Road and served as a member of the Govan Parochial Board.
Wilson served on the Town Council from 1863 until 1869 and from 1874 to 1891. He was a convenor of the libraries committee and an enthusiastic supporter of the Mitchell Library.
Reference: Mitchell Library, 920.04BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
councillors, Govan Parochial Board, libraries, Maxwell Parish Church, shopkeepers, umbrellas, Victoria Baths, Western Burns Club, Wilson & Mathieson