Hugh McBean (d 1894) was an oil manufacturer and paint merchant and a councillor.
Born in Inverness, McBean came to Glasgow in 1840. He was originally an engineer but became an oil manufacturer in 1850, two years after losing his right hand in an accident.
McBean served on the Town Council from 1871 until 1880. His greatest interest was in the establishment of a West End Museum at Kelvingrove House, for which he raised £7,000.
Reference: Mitchell Library, 920.04BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
councillors, engineers, Kelvingrove House, museums, oil manufacturers, oil merchants, paint merchants, West End Museum