John Carrick (1819-1890) was Glasgow's City Architect 1862-1889.
Born in Denny, Carrick came to Glasgow to work as an apprentice to the architect John Bryce. He formed a partnership, Brown & Carrick, but was better known for his achievements in the service of the town council.
Carrick was appointed Superintendent of Streets in 1844, then Superintendent of Works in 1854 and finally City Architect, responsible for laying out thoroughfares and building developments. After 1866 he was entrusted with the management of the City Improvement Trust's schemes to reconstruct the insanitary quarters of the old city centre, re-aligning, widening or forming new streets and opening up squares and public spaces. Carrick and his assistant A B McDonald also drew up plans and specifications for the houses and other buildings erected by the Trust on the sites of former slums.
Reference: Mitchell Library, 920.04BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Brown & Carrick, City Architects, City Improvement Trust, housebuilding, slum clearance, slums, Superintendents of Streets, Superintendents of Works, urban regeneration