Frederick Lockhart Robertson (1827-1892) was the minister of St Andrew's Parish Church and was known as the "Minister of the Saltmarket."
Robertson was the son of a president of the Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh and came to St Andrew's in 1873 after spells preaching in Ayr, Bonhill and Greenock. In 1877 he accepted the call to St Giles' in Edinburgh but then sensationally turned it down on the day of his admission.
The Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae described Robertson as "specially solicitous for the welfare of the poor in his own large parish" and he was determined to "sweep" immorality and drunkenness from the streets around the Saltmarket.
Reference: Mitchell Library, 920.04BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
brooms, Church of Scotland, churches, drunkenness, ministers, pawnbrokers' shops, St Andrew's Parish Church, streetscenes, temperance