John Mitchell (b 1786) was a cork manufacturer and councillor.
Mitchell was the son of a Dalkeith cork manufacturer and set up in business in Glasgow in 1808, living at first in Stockwell Street. He was a founder and director of the Clydesdale Bank and in 1873 The Bailie believed that he was the biggest importer of cork in Great Britain.
In 1833 Mitchell was elected to the town council and he served until 1881 with a gap of just four years during the 1830s. As a councillor, he supported the laying out of the cemetery at Sighthill and the construction of the Portland Street Suspension Bridge.
Reference: Mitchell Library, 920.04BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Clydesdale Bank, cork manufacturers, councillors, Sighthill Cemetery