David Hutcheson (1799-1881?) was a shipowner.
The Hutchesons were related to the family of the founders of J & G Burns Steamship Co, and Hutcheson worked for the company before forming in 1848 David & Alexander Hutcheson, with his brother and David MacBrayne as his partners. The new firm acquired Burns' shipping lines serving the Highlands and Islands. They opened new routes and acquired rival businesses and in 1855 ordered the Iona, their first purpose-built paddle steamer. By 1878 they had a fleet of fifteen vessels and had built a reputation for fast and reliable services.
Hutcheson retired from the business in 1876 and his brother two years later, leaving MacBrayne as sole owner of the line.
Reference: Mitchell Library, 920.04BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
David & Alexander Hutcheson, Iona, J & G Burns Steamship Co, paddle steamers, shipowners