John Caird (1820-1898) was Professor of Divinity at the University of Glasgow, 1862-1873, and the University Principal 1873-1898.
Caird became Principal shortly after the University moved from its site on High Street to the more salubrious surroundings of Gilmorehill in the west end of the city. The Bailie’s caricaturist depicts him in 1873 standing in front of the University’s main buildings. The buildings were completed in 1870, but the tower and its distinctive spire were not added until 1891.
Reference: Mitchell Library, 920.04BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Divinity, Principals, professors, spires, towers, University of Glasgow, University spire, University tower